"If you could remember and understand more of your nightly dreams, you would be more likely to avoid a bad marriage choice, recognize when it is time to make a move in your career, solve problems more quickly, and yes, use much more of your brain power." ~Gayle Delaney
Although we dream every night, and sometimes we remember them, understanding what they mean is not always easy. When we are able to make sense of them, they can be a rich source of guidance and encouragement, but figuring them out can seem like an insurmountable challenge.
Priming the Pump for Dream Recall & Guidance
Before you begin to work on understanding your dreams, you may need to help yourself remember more of them. Here are steps you can use to prime the pump for remembering more dreams…
- Say a prayer for dream guidance before you go to sleep.
- Put paper and pencil or pen by your bedside.
- As you are drifting off to sleep, or heading in that direction, say to yourself that you are going to begin to remember your dreams for as long as you need to until you know what you need to know.
- Rinse and repeat each night until you remember an entire dream.
Expect to remember several more dreams after that until you have received all the guidance you need for now. After that, you are likely to stop remembering them until you need them again.
But once you are able to remember more of your dreams, what can you do to understand them better? Here are several techniques you can use to analyze your dreams…
Dream Guidance Techniques
What's the Story?: Most important thing to do, in my opinion, is to tell yourself the story of what happened before you even move in the bed, to make sure you don't forget it.
For me, that takes several tellings. Then, I write it down to take note of the words I choose to describe what happened, which are often different from what I say in my head to remind myself.
- What Does it Mean?: I then look for meaning. If the dream is a message, what might it be? Is there anything about the story that reminds me of my own life?
- It's All About You: Another dream technique that I have found helpful is to ask yourself how the meaning would change if you played every role in the dream. Look at it from each perspective.
- Intuitive Guidance: Use oracle cards to give yourself a reading to help discern which of the possible meanings are your most important focus.
These are just a few dream interpretation techniques but as you can see, they can be very powerful!
One more thing! Is every dream deeply meaningful? I don't think so. The truth is, we dream all night long and I think that many of those dreams are just yesterday soup. Just a review of what happened, maybe some complaining thrown in for good measure. Nothing deep to say.
But the dreams we're after have wisdom and encouragement to share and may have important guidance about your next steps. Blessings as you begin to explore the dream world!